When browsing different web sites, you may notice that many users have a picture next to their name. They are called Gravatars or “Globally Recognized” avatars. Anytime you make a comment or write on a website, your Gravatar will show up. We use the same tool in our chat area so you can put a face next to your chat messages. Having a Gravatar account makes it really easy to maintain your identity across the entire web, and not have to set different pictures uploaded to every profile you’ve ever created. If a site recognizes Gravatar, you’re good to go.
Here’s how you can create your own Gravatar account:
1. Sign up here.
2. Click I already have a WordPress.com account! if you have an existing WordPress account so you won’t have to go through the whole sign up process. Simply log in on the next page using your existing WordPress account.
3. If you don’t have a WordPress account, simply fill in all the required fields and then click on Sign up.
4. A confirmation email will be sent to your email address. In the email you’ll find a link that when clicked on will bring you back to the site and ask you to sign in to your new Gravatar account.
5. Once you’re signed in, simply add an image by clicking Add a new image.
6. You can add an image in four different ways. In this example, we are going to select the easiest and the most common method: Upload new.
7. Click on Choose File and select any photo on your computer then click Next.
8. In the next step, you will be asked to crop your photo according to your preference. Once you are satisfied with your image, just click Crop and Finish.
9. Select a rating for your Gravatar.
10. You will now be taken to your account home page which means that your Gravatar setup is done.